Exercising at home: some tips
Some sample exercises that you can easily do at home or around your home without necessarily going to the gym. This week, we start with the following:
1. Walking – Start off walking today! You can start with a ten minute brisk walk around your neighbourhood especially if it is not a busy place. If it is a very busy neighbourhood, you might want to go to a part close by, or the local stadium.
2. Jumping Jacks – With jumping jacks you cannot go wrong as it improves your blood circulation and your heart rate. Try to do 3 – 5 sets of 20.
3. Pushups – You can use the ‘trick’ of doing pushups everyday before taking a bath. In order to increase the intensity, you can decide to add 5 pushups every week until you achieve your set goal. Start off with 2-3 steps of 15 pushups.
4. Squats – Try this and you will improve the strength in your legs and buttocks. It is a good way of getting the desired defined legs and eliminating unwanted fat from the buttocks. Start off with 3-4 sets of 15.
5. Crunches – This is very good for the abs. Try different styles of crunches targeting both the upper and lower abs, as well as your love handles. Start with 3 sets of 10 and increase by 5 over time.
6. Step Exercises – Ditch the elevator and use the stairs at home as this increases your stamina, and also gives your heart a good workout.
7. Jogging In Place – This is another good exercise to improve circulation as well as get your heart rate going. Start off with 10 minutes and increase over time.
8. Light Weight Lifting – With this you might decide to acquire some dumbbells. However, if you do not have them, you can make do with some water kegs in your house. It doesn't need to be heavy since you are not intent on building muscles. Start off with 3-4 sets of 10.
9. Dancing – This is another great way to exercise, lose weight and have fun. You can try some of the dance exercises available online.
10. Stretches – This should be the beginning and last of your exercise routine everyday as it warms you up and cools you down.
If you are living in an upstairs apartment, remember to consider those living below your apartment.