Reasons why despite what you do, the weight refuses to come off
|Salmon, lettuce, carrot strips and pineapple. My dinner today!|
Certain times some people do all they can – dieting, portion control and exercises but the weight just refuses to go off. What might be responsible?
- The tendency to overcompensate after exercises – there are certain times when after a tiring and long exercise I want to compensate myself for that. In that case, one might decide to go for a treat – chocolate – remember how addicted I was to it. When this happens, the tendency is that the calories burnt during the exercise are immediately replaced.
- As I already stated in the article on sleep and weight loss, depriving oneself of sleep could lead to weight gain as it slows down our metabolism. It also increases stress which in turn leads to weight gain.
- Consumption of large portions – in order to lose weight we must control the intake of food. Notwithstanding the fact that we are eating healthy, once the portion is large, it could lead to weight gain.
- Not eating enough may equally lead to weight gain as it also slows down ones metabolism. The trick, therefore, is the balancing of how we eat so we don't eat too little or too much.
- Taking sugary drinks – this is a killer! Most times we think that it is only real food that have calories and contribute to weight gain – No! Liquids do, especially the sugary types. Be careful also about the so-called sports drinks and energy drinks. Better to make your own drinks – smoothies are a good way to go!
- There should be no yo-yo approach to weight loss. Remember that it took you a while to put on the weight, so it will also take a while to shed it off. Consistency must be the watchword! Yes, certain times you may slip up, but pick up yourself and keep your eyes on your goals!
- As your journey progresses through the weeks, so also must you intensify your exercises. This will jolt your body to continue to weight loss as it may relax and settle into a relaxed and comfortable mood.