Heart friendly exercise tips
While it is good to work out and keep fit, certain precautions have to be taken into consideration before engaging in any strenuous exercise especially for the elderly, those on medication and those suffering from any kind of ailment e.g. heart related diseases.
Always ensure you consult with your physician before you start so that you can have a tailor made exercise plan and most importantly, you’d be monitored regularly.
For those with heart related problems:
- Always make sure you go steady with your exercise; do not go beyond a pace you are comfortable with
- Avoid very strenuous exercises e.g. push-ups because they exert much pressure on you
- Be cautious of extreme temperatures: it is advisable to avoid outdoor exercises when the weather is too hot/cold as these temperatures affect circulation leading to difficulty in breathing and chest pain
- Immediately after exercising, same precaution should be taken with showers/bath; avoid too hot/cold baths
- Climbing hills/steep areas should be avoided as much as possible ‘cos of the undue pressure they exert on the heart
- Last but not least, always stay hydrated. Water aids circulation and helps remove toxins.
Keep well, stay active and please share.