Using interval training to rev up your workout


I just discovered that I burn more calories when I do interval training during my workout. I dabbled into this by chance: I was lacking time to train today, and at the same time, I was feeling lazy. Talk about double jeopardy! However, since I had scheduled to train, I decided I must hit the road, even if it was just for a few minutes of walking. I started off walking at a fast pace, then switched to running; felt tired and switched again to walking. This was my routine through the duration of the 60 minutes I was on the road. When I checked, I had burnt more calories than I usually do in a straight 60 minutes run. For those who workout at the gym, using the Circuit combined with a burst of cardiovascular exercises will be good. If you use the treadmill, try increasing the Incline from time to time, while also alternating between running, jogging and walking.



The benefits of interval training abound and I will just list a few of them:
  • The change in intensity of training gives it the added fun – as you know, when a particular pace is set, it can become monotonous and boring
  • You can exercise for longer and that means burning more calories
  • It rests your muscles making exercise less painful and exhausting
Some safety tips

While interval training is an effective way to maximise your workouts, as in all types of training, you need to observe some safety rules.
  • Always warm up before starting your training: this could be by way of stretches
  • Understand your state of fitness: if you cannot run due to some health conditions, please don't; instead, alternate between fast and very fast paces
  • Always start slowly so that you ease into your training: don't over-stretch yourself in the first few minutes and end up not continuing due to fatigue
  • Aim for more steady pace
  • Increase intensity gradually: for instance, if you are on a treadmill, don't go from Incline 5 to 15 at once.
 Keep well, stay active and please share

Comments

  1. Excellent site. Lots of helpful information here.
    I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious.
    And naturally, thanks for your effort!

    my blog post talking to

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts