Appetite Suppressing foods
|Lemon, Low fat yoghurt, and eggs|
I have discovered that when you are on a conscious weight loss journey through dieting/portion control and exercises that is when hunger or temptations to eat bite more. Does this have to do with our psyche or what? Anyway, here are some foods that can help you overcome the temptations of overeating:
- Water: Good old water is always good. You may want to spice it up with a dash of lemon juice or even a slice of lemon. Sometimes when we feel that we are hungry, it is more a psychological feeling than physiological; you can ‘trick’ your brain by drinking water with a little lemon and once it gets that taste, the psychological need is satisfied. I however do not suggest that you starve yourself. You should eat when you are supposed to.
- Beans: Beans is always a weight watcher’s companion. It is good as a source of protein and fiber, and is also low in calories.
- Green Tea: Green tea is also another appetite buster. Its effect on overall health and as an aid in weight loss has been stated here on this blog.
- Salmon: I love my Salmon grilled! It is also a good source of omega-3 as well as an appetite suppressant, as it leaves you full.
- Nuts: These are a good source of healthy fats and fiber. Makes you feel full for longer.
- Oatmeal: Most people start off their day with oatmeal as this contains fiber, making one stay fuller for longer.
- Apples: The cliché that ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’ is very apt. Apples as snacks keep one fuller as it contains fiber and water.
- Avocado: While avocadoes are good as they contain healthy monounsaturated fats that keep you full, however, try to avoid over indulging in it, as they are also high in calories. Maybe you should limit yourself to half slice a day.
- Leafy Greens: As a result of the high water content of leafy green vegetables, they fill ones stomach without the added calories. They are also a good source of fiber.
- Flaxseeds: This contains fiber as well as a very good source of omega-3. It is a great appetite suppressant.
- Eggs: Most weight watchers think that if they add eggs to their menu that they will add weight. No! Studies have shown that eggs can help you control your appetite, but hey! that doesn't mean you need to raid the chicken farm!
- Yogurt: This is a good source of protein, but make sure it is the low fat or the non-fat type.
- Lemon: The way this works is that when you take lemon, the sour taste suppresses your immediate cravings for food or any sweet thing.
- Watermelon: This is also very good in making one feel full. It is also a god source of fiber.
- Vinegar: Many people have suggested that vinegar, especially apple cider vinegar (with Mother in it) helps in appetite suppression and weight loss. While I have not tried this, you may want to research on it a little and see if it works for you.