Setting your weight loss goal: be realistic!
|My set goal|
We have different reasons for embarking on a weight loss journey; viz: to become a particular dress size, to be healthier, for health reasons etc and so we tend to set our target with the aim of achieving our goal. For your weight loss to either become a success or failure starts with your set goal.
Below is a guide on how to set an achievable goal:
· In setting realistic goals, you must identify negative habits and things you are not doing right. These include for instance, habits that might hinder you from making progress; e.g. over indulging in junk food, not exercising, eating too much fatty meals etc, while identifying the positive habits you want to embrace.
· Set a time frame for yourself. This not only prevents your activity from being vague, you are more focused and obviously will not want to let yourself down. In my own case, I gave myself five (5) months to drop 44 pounds (20kg) and so because I knew I had a set time, I was more focused with my programme.
· It is also wise to inform your friends about what you about; what you are embarking on, and encourage them to monitor your progress. By this you know you are accountable and you wouldn’t want to be seen as a non-achiever. This pushes you to work hard to maintain your progress
· Ensure you keep track of your progress; this way you’ll be more motivated to keep going on. You can keep a pair of your regular sized Jeans handy to measure your progress. I can assure you, the moment you start noticing changes, your moral and zeal will be boosted.
· Be flexible and review your goals once in a while.
It is important to consult your GP before you start, especially if you have some health issues so that he will assess you and help you know what will work better and also if the weight you want to attain is healthy for you.
Keep well, stay active and please share!