Feeling bloated? Some tips on relief and prevention
I have been feeling bloated (intestinal gas) lately. If you have ever experienced this, you’ll definitely understand what I have been going through for some days. It is such an uncomfortable feeling! I had to research on the causes to know what I am doing wrong that is causing this; or if I need to step up on anything. After my research, I quickly found out the culprit in my case and it has really helped me a lot.
Here’s a list of some dos and don’ts to help prevent or relieve bloating (intestinal gas)
- Drink a lot of water as water helps flush out toxins
- Reduce salt(sodium) intake
- Go easy on dairy products especially if you feel you are intolerant
- Don’t rush meals to avoid swallowing excess air
- Eat foods and snacks high in fibre ( they are also great to prevent you from being constipated)
- Limit the amount of gum you chew daily because not only do you trap much air, some of them might contain sugar alcohol which can cause bloating, if you must chew, chew on a carrot stick!
- Reduce the amount of fizzy and sugary drinks you take (remember you shouldn’t be on them if you are on a weight loss program)
- Drink hot green tea or any de-bloating tea especially in the mornings and before going to bed
- Stay active
- Remember catch up on your beauty sleep to help your metabolism
- The culprit in my case is gum; I chew gum a lot, and most times I find myself rushing my meals, as I have to keep up with one appointment or another.
- Please remember that if you have any food or dairy allergy or you are not too sure as to what is causing your bloating, visit your GP. Don’t assume or self medicate.
Keep well, stay active and please share!