I love eating nuts: flavoured, salted and raw as I know they are quite healthy. I decided to research a bit on them to know if I am having a lot and what they actually do for the body and if they play any role in weight loss.
Here are a few benefits:
- nuts are great for weight loss as they help maintain satiety due to their high fibre content
- contain good fats which are essential for heart health
- high in vitamins and minerals
- high in protein
- high in anti oxidants: which help protect against cancer
- energy dense, hence high in calories
Owing to their high calorie nature (100g can of peanuts for example can contain up to 500 calories), it is advisable to eat a small handful or serving a day especially if you are on a weight loss programme.
It is advisable to avoid salted or highly flavoured nuts as they contain much calories and sodium. If you feel a small serving is too little for you to eat in a day, why not try out these great options with your nuts, this way you’ll not feel you have missed out on much:
- sprinkle them on your salads
- Add them to your cornflakes, oats, yogurts and any other cereal of your choice.
Some of the healthiest nuts include: cashews, peanuts, almonds, flaxseed, pumpkin seed, sesame seed, walnuts and sun flower seed.